Burton Township Roads Department
14821 Rapids Rd.
P.O. Box 355
Burton, OH 44021
Administration Building – 440-834-1500
Service Department Cell – 440-476-9938
2021 Road Improvement Project Status:
- Fisher Road – Paving contract awarded. Service Department continuing maintenance.
- Snow Road – Service Department continuing maintenance.
- Station Road – Paving contract awarded. Service Department continuing maintenance.
The Burton Township Roads Department hours:
- April 15 – November 1 – Normal Hours – 7:00am to 3:30pm
- November 2-April 14 – Depending on snow, the hours vary.
Mailbox Replacement Policy and Information (this applies only to roads maintained by Burton Township)
- Mailboxes are a road obstruction within township road right-of-way that may represent a hazard to the traveling public.
- If a mailbox is damaged by “direct” contact with a township vehicle or its snow blade, it will be replaced by a treated wooded post and mailbox approved by the U.S. Postal Service.
- If it’s a specialty or exotic type mailbox, the homeowner must accept the recommended replacement or cash settlement of no more than $35: The expensive plastic-style mailboxes will not be replaced.
- Do not remove driveway snow to the roadway or a location that requires a plow to throw it at the mailbox.
The Burton Township Roads Department maintains 35 streets (19.5 miles) within the township. Township roads consist of 15 miles of asphalt, almost four miles of gravel, and a little less than a mile of chip and seal.
The Burton Township Roads Department has two employees which includes the Road Foreman. They are responsible for asphalt patching, crack sealing, roadside ditch cleaning, gravel road grading, dust control application, installation and maintenance of all signage, roadside mowing, snowplowing, roadside shoulder repair, tree and brush trimming, road culvert maintenance and replacement, and guardrail repair and replacement.
The following equipment is used to complete these responsibilities.
- 1989, 1996, and 2013 Dump Trucks
- 2007 Pick Up Truck
- 2 Backhoes
- Roadside Mower
- Road Grater
- Asphalt Roller
- Agricultural Tractor
- Lawn Mower
- Asphalt Hot Box Trainer
- Road Maintenance Trailer – shared with Fairgrounds.
In addition, due to the age of the equipment, the Burton Township employees usually spend a day working on equipment for every two days of use.
The department is also responsible for the maintenance of the township owned Administration Building and grounds and some maintenance of Burton Township cemeteries.